Thank you for visiting Spruce – a South African lifestyle blog!
We are Sam and Ilaria – two regular girls and lifelong friends. We met in school at the age of 14. We have lived together, worked together, cried, struggled but most importantly laughed and continue to laugh together, and we are now on our very exciting blog journey together. We are passionate South Africans and are both currently living in Johannesburg, our City of Gold.
Spruce hopes to inspire and connect with its readers through exploring the simple beauties, inspirations and pleasures in everyday life.
FUN FACTS ABOUT SAM (written by Ilaria)
1. Describe her style: Sam is all about class and woman. She would have seamlessly transitioned into the era of the 50’s if time travel existed, (in Paris, of course!) where small waisted dresses, oversized shades and beautiful peep toe shoes just seem so right. She subconsciously brings that into her everyday dressing. Whether it’s a gorgeous pair of pearl earrings, a perfectly painted pair of hands (red is the go-to colour) or a spotted feminine blouse, Sam always exudes a sense of confidence and elegance in the way she puts herself together. She encompasses all that a woman should be without being a prissy princess.
If I think of three words to describe her style: Classic. Elegant. French.
2. Worst habit: Picking at those perfectly painted nails.
3. Go-to drink: Wine and Champagne. ALL THE TIME.
4. Dream holiday destination: Torn here. On the one hand it’s Paris, and will always be Paris. On the other hand it is somewhere with beautiful white sand and clear blue waters where she can drink cocktails, wear embellished kaftans and read 50 books in one holiday. (No jokes, she reads books faster than I can say the word book. Her random knowledge about anything and everything is ridiculous!)
5. Guilty pleasure(s): Most sweet things. Chocolate, Red Velvet Cake, Tiramisu. Anything that is decadent will go down well with Sam.
6. She is clearly obsessed with… stripes, always having flowers in her home, doing everything in her power to avoid wrinkles, good dining and being the boss!
7. If money were no object, she would: Spend a good month in Paris every year, hire a personal trainer every day of the week and most likely have a wardrobe full of designer handbags. (Okay, if money really were no object she would probably OWN a house in Paris, where she would possibly study a course or two in literature and attend French cooking school but most importantly take her dear friend Ilaria shopping in Europe and New York every season!)
8. Can’t live without: Her facial beauty products, books, wine and her family (includes her two pugs).
9. Pet Hates: Public toilets. Individuals who, in winter, wear sandals at the bottom with coats on top. Unpainted toe nails.
10. Currently, she… is, among other things like succeeding in her job like a superstar, starting the amazing adventure of her own blog which has been her dream for a good few years.
FUN FACTS ABOUT ILARIA (written by Sam)
1. Describe her style: Ilaria will hate me for saying this but I see her as a modern-day gypsy – a collection of style, designs and eras. Nothing about Ilaria fits within in a neatly confined space of a single description. It is classic monochromes against bold colour and patterns. It is modern, relaxed and eclectic; a collection of past experiences.
2. Worst habit: Getting admin done, not being on time, not wearing sunscreen religiously!
3. Go-to drink: Jamesons and water. Although she will sip wine alongside me, and has been known to throw back a few tequilas.
4. Dream holiday destination: Too many to mention. For Ilaria, a holiday must include multiple stop-overs to ensure she can shop, sight-see, hit the beach, party and experience the culture. She would not cope on a resort style holiday longer than four days although the idea of cocktails, kaftans and jeweled sandals on tanned feet is a frequent ‘dream world’ discussion…
5. Guilty pleasure(s): While Ilaria loves food – particularly good food – I never think of her as an ‘indulger’ of gluttonous proportions. Except maybe lasagna… She does need a good party once in a while with the girls, followed by a day on couch and a shopping spree entered with gay abandon.
6. She is clearly obsessed with… Shoes. Nobody understands until they see her shoe cupboard.
7. If money were no object, she would: Buy a pair of nude and black Louboutin heels. And some Jimmy Choos to compliment them. Travel when the desire arose (which would be fairly often, based upon our ‘dream world’ scenarios). Host lavish parties in exotic locations.
7. Can’t live without: A good moisturizer and foundation, mascara, coffee at 10am, striped tops, muesli and yogurt, ballet pumps, animal print, her own time (occasionally) and surrounding herself with her most loved ones.
8. Pet hate: Fake people, people who don’t live or enjoy life to the full, poor shoe choices.
9. Currently, she… is blonde, doing a part-time interior design course, contemplating how and where she is going to celebrate her 30th birthday next year…
If you would like to get in touch, click here or follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog to receive new notifications of posts!